Monday, January 10, 2011

Learning Journal 2: Alien vs. Native

Today's reading really got me thinking about what kind of researcher I want to be when I get in the field.  The author discussed the problems and benefits of being an extreme participant vs. and an extreme outsider.  Obviously, my goal is to be completely immersed in the culture and to learn as much as possible about the Tongan culture, but I hadn't really thought of any problems that might occur for research if you completely adopt the beliefs of the natives.  I guess the question that came to my mind was where do you draw the line from observing and participating? I definitely want to participate but I don't want that to influence the results of my research.  I think finding a balance between those things will take some effort on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment