Sunday, March 6, 2011

Learning Journal 20

Every day I'm getting more and more excited to go to Tonga, but I'm also getting more and more worried about my project proposal.  I feel pretty good about my project as far as the subject and methods, but I'm still struggling with the background section.  There is just so much information about families, and different studies on families across the world, it's so stressful!  But, other than that, I feel like everything else is coming together, and it's starting to feel very real!

I thought the reading called "Baskets and Blankets" was kind of interesting, even though I wasn't really feeling all the art talk.  But I really liked how the author talked about how to learn about a culture you have to appreciate the beauty in the culture.  And sometimes you don't know enough or don't have enough experiences to really be able to understand another culture.  I think sometimes, even though I know better, when I go to Tonga I'll be able to understand everything about the culture and I'll be an expert about Tonga!  I think it's important to remember that even though I'll spend three months there just learning about the culture, you can't expect to come back with a comprehensive view of the Tonga culture.  It's just a small step in learning about the culture, in one area.  The article also made me realize how important it is to pay attention and look for the beauty in the culture. It's not like that will make us able to understand all the differences in the culture or their traditions, but I think it will make us more appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment