Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Learning Journal 21

It seems like it has been a million years since I have written a blog post (I'm not necessarily complaining), so I'm having trouble remembering exactly what the last thing we read or talked about in class was.  I thought the peer reviews were pretty helpful, it was nice to read other peoples proposals to gain a better understanding of what areas could be better and to get ideas of how to incorporate things in.  I am continuing to work on my IRB proposal right now, and then planning to get back to my actual project proposal next weekend.  I can't believe how close it's getting to the end and to Tonga.

Last week in our Tongan class, we read an article where this man talked about his opinions of Tongan culture (he was Tongan, but moved to the states in his childhood).  He made some really wonderful points, especially in talking about how he loves his culture, but he has to forsake some of his culture norms to be in harmony with the gospel standards.  It just made me think about how we don't have to adopt every single culture norm just because that's our culture, we can have our own opinions about things and have different ideas than the culture norms around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment