Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Learning Journal 28

These last few journals are getting very difficult because I feel like I'm running out of ideas of things to talk about! We have had a lot less readings and class discussions than before, so I'm not getting as many ideas from those sources.  In class on Monday, we talked about culture shock. I realized when I was reading the article before that there is  a very real chance that I could have some form of culture shock, especially given that I have never been anywhere outside the U.S. Dallin brought up a good thought at the end, suggesting that we may have "living in a third world country for three months" culture shock. It's funny because I feel like after 5 hours of class a week about the field study and the Tongan culture, I have a somewhat general understanding of what it will probably be like, but in reality I know that there is no way that I can really prepare myself and understand it completely until I get there. It's the same way with the culture shock.  I can picture myself being surprised by things they do or a little concerned with how many of the material things I'm missing, but until I actually get there I don't think I can really understand and prepare myself completely. A lot of what we are doing is preparing us, but at the same time I feel like you can't really be totally prepared, and that's probably part of the fun.

As far as my project goes, I'm just tying up loose ends.  The project presentation went well in my opinion, and made me realize that although I don't know exactly how everything is going to go in Tonga, I do have an understanding of what my general goals are and that I will be flexible and sensitive to the culture.  I hope that everyone in the audience felt the same way.  Most importantly, as I continue to learn about Tonga, I am able to adapt my project (without changing the basic methods or outline of the project) to the culture itself.  For example, as I have been reading about migration in the book I am using for my book report, I have discovered that the migration rates really affect the family, especially the extended family, and that might be an interesting to see what I can learn about that. Anyways, the point is that I know things can be changed and expanded as I learn more about the culture and as I attempt to enter the community, and as long as I have done all that I can to prepare for those things here, I think it will be ok while I'm there!

No comments:

Post a Comment