Thursday, April 7, 2011

Learning Journal 29

I can't believe we only have one month before we go to tonga!!!  Some days I feel totally prepared, and then other days I feel really unprepared!  It's like one day I'm thinking ok, I have my project pretty settled and it's very doable, and I'm going to hang out with the family and figure everything out as I go, then the next day, I'm like what am I going to do down there? what am I going to wear?  what am I going to do with my hair?  how am I going to meet people and get involved in the community????  Mostly, I'm just really excited!!!

As I continue to read this book about migration, I'm so impressed with the people in the book.  One thing I read in the most recent chapter said something about how the people don't have very many things or very much money, but they don't really need it and it's not "sad" if they don't have much money.  The author was saying how the culture isn't driven by power and money the way that our culture is, so it's like they most of them are totally content with what they have.  It's funny because I don't consider myself to be a super materialistic person, but I'm always thinking about money and how I wish I had more, so I could buy these other things and pay for more things.  I really think that the mentality of being content with what you have and not always wishing you had more is something very admirable.  I would love to pick that up when I'm in Tonga!

No comments:

Post a Comment