Sunday, May 8, 2011

Last day in the U.S. . . .

So I'm leaving for Tonga in a few hours, it's kind of hard to believe!  Basically I'll be working on this big research project I have designed, to study family dynamics, for the next three months.  The program is through BYU, kind of like a study abroad but it's a lot less structured and we each have our research projects we will be doing. I am staying in a village in Vava'u about thirty minutes away from the capitol city Neiafu.  There are five students going to Tonga and I will be living with one other girl, Michelle. We are staying with a lady named Ana and I'm pretty sure she is single and lives by herself. I think that covers all of the logistics. . . I'm not sure how our house will be as far as running water and all of those kinds of luxuries, but it should be interesting. It's kind of nerve racking and I really feel like I have forgotten a million things, but I'm sure it will be great!  I'm really excited and think it's going to be a fun adventure, not to mention a great experience to build my research skills and learn a ton about the Tongan culture!

P.S. I made this blog for a class I had last semester, so all of the posts before this are about the class and my project, and I don't recommend reading them (they all start with learning journal, if that tells you anything).

2 comments:

  1. Allyson! I am so so excited for you! Be safe. And I hope you have running water. How long is the flight? I'm glad you're staying with another student. Take tons of pictures!!! I love you!!! (sorry for the randomness of this comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson, I'm so proud of you! What an awesome Mother's Day present to know my only child has set out on a journey to change the world! Love Mama Nag

    ReplyDelete