Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Palangi's vs. The Critters . . .

There is definitely something in the Tongan water that makes the bugs (monga mongas) grow crazy huge! I'm thinking steroids, but I'm not sure.  We have had more mosquito, flea, and spider bites than most people get in their lifetime.  There are ants all over everything, including us!  The cockroaches are measured at around 8inches with their antennas (5 without).  And then there are the mice that like to hide in our window seals and the deadly centipede that ran under my chair! You should google centipedes in tonga to get a better understanding of their size.  The good news is that we are all surviving and have actually killed quite a few!  It's funny though because it's kind of like a game and it makes it a little enjoyable, like "what will we find today?" 

Other than that things are great here! We don't have running water so we have been bathing (not often) in buckets, brushing our teeth outside, and using the bathroom in the outhouse.  It's exciting!  I'm becoming very domesticated and brave!  We did our laundry by hand outside last week and have been making food without measuring cups and with a stove you light with a match.  We wash our dishes (and hair) with rain water.  It's all very. . . traditional! I feel like after three months here, I will be able to live anywhere!  We don't sleep with covers, just our mosquito nets, because it's so hot here.  It's funny that they call it winter. I really do love it here! The people are so friendly and seeing how little all these people have makes me realize how silly I am for placing so much emphasis on material things.  It's like all that these people care about is laughing, being with their families, and enjoying life.  People are always just sitting outside hanging out and not stressed about every little detail.  I'm learning a ton!  Even though we don't have all of the technology and comforts I'm used to, it's like it doesn't matter here.  Nobody has anything but it doesn't feel like they are missing anything either. 

I started volunteering at the primary school this week.  It's so fun! They always stare at me and smile and call me palangi.  They get so excited when I come! I'm teaching them english which is hard because I don't know enough Tongan and they don't know hardly any english.  the book they gave me to teach them out of is WAY TOOOOOOO advanced! So it's frustrating, but it's sweet because I'll tell them I'm done and they can go home and they will be like "no, we want to learn more."  The school always gets canceled and let out early all the time.  It's really sad.  When I'm talking they just listen and pay attention and act like they really care what I'm saying.  It's nice.  The school just needs a lot of help and more teachers, they only have five teachers for six classes.  Despite how little everyone here has, they are so happy and know how to enjoy life.  I'm so glad to be here and to be learning from them!

This last week I learned to weave with banana leaves (I think that's what it is in english), went to a dance where they did traditional dancing, went to two different beaches that were both as clear as a pool.  One was rocky and the current was the stronger than I ever imagined it could be so I got a little cut up, but it was so beautiful I didn't even notice.  the other was sandy and better than anything you could see on google images or in a post card. Pictures can't capture it.  Funny thing about the beaches! We saw cows on the shore of the rocky beach and pics on the sandy one! It was hillarious! PIGS ON A BEACH! We also found an electric blue starfish that was still alive, I picked up but threw it back because I felt bad killing it.  We went to a rugby game too, which was cool.  I feel like we have done so many things but I am out of minutes on the computer so I have to get off! I love this place! You should make it your next goal to come see this place! It's incredible!

3 comments:

  1. Allyson! Oh my goodness, Tonga sounds both amazing and scary! Those bugs and MICE would freak me out! But to be able to teach sweet little Tongan kids? How incredible! It sounds like you're having the time of your life. I love it! I so wanna go there now. And those beaches -- post some pictures!!!! Love and miss you! Be safe. (Maybe you'll come home with a Tongan man?!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson! I googled those centipedes...they are more like small snakes with a million legs! bless your heart for being okay with that. I'm glad you found some beaches and that you all fit on the island ;) i love your updates and i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allyson, I can't believe you actually said you were hot! I have never heard those words out of your mouth before. You are so cold natured I thought the climate there might be just right. It sounds like you are having a great learning experience. You make me want to go there and teach those sweet little children. Cover up your feet when you are sleeping! Love you Sandy

    ReplyDelete